Our mornings of learning have been very nice this week. We’ve begun each day with our prayers, devotions, rosary and Gospel of the day. Then one child will pick a Saint’s story to RA to everyone, or I will chose one. The children also have chosen a Saint to devote themselves to until next year’s All Saints Feast!
Our morning lessons consist of Math, Latin and Grammar for Violet and Matthias. They are both progressing very well in their Saxon Math books, it’s very consistent which is great! Violet will be ready for Saxon 7/6 by the end of 2007, and Matthias will most likely jump to 6/5 as well.
We are really enjoying our Latin studies together this year. Violet is on the tail end of Latina Christiana I and Matthias is just beginning in this book. They are both noticing how much easier their Grammar lessons are due to their increasing knowledge of Latin and use of words. Lissa mentioned a text that she really likes, Latin Book I, by Scott and Horn, I need to check it out.
Violet & Matthias have learned many prayers by heart since beginning with Prima Latina in 3rd grade, the ones with the (M) are ones they have both learned, Violet the rest:
- The Sanctus (M)
- The Doxology (M)
- Table Blessing (M)
- Pater Noster (M)
- Agnus Dei
- Ave Maria
- Dona Nobis Pacem
- Salve Regina (M) Hymn
She has also learned many hymns from the delightful Lingua Angelica which we all enjoy together, Matthias will be learning these by heart too this year.
We’ve all been enjoying our "Warm and Cozy" afternoons all week with Wind in the Willows as our audio book. Then we’ve had a good bit of outdoor exploration and play time with scooters, roller-blades and bikes. Our Autumn weather has been simply divine!
Violet has also been experimenting with different concoctions of dried flowers and herbs making "remedies" for her dollies who are often ailing and need extra hospice care and convalescing.
In the Montessori department, Seamus has been going great guns with his learning and discovery! He is currently working on:
- Double-digit Addition (wonderful worksheets from LearningPage.com) He alternates between using the Golden Beads and the Colored Bead Bars. He really seems to prefer the colored beads for adding the units as the golden bead units tend to go flying our of his little (big) hands. This also gives him some fun realizations when he counts them and needs to exchange! Pretty cool stuff!
- Snake Game Addition
- Stamp Game Addtion and Subtraction up into the 1000’s for both
- New Stitching Basket that Violet put together for him.
- Working with Pastels for Art
- Feeling Rough and Smooth Gourdes blindfolded!
- Baking with his Sister
- Lots of Coloring
- Finished up his Beginning Pink Sound Bins, Woohoo!!
- Read lots and lots of Stories, his favorite right now is Time of Wonder and Fannie in the Kitchen
- and so much more…
New Presentation this week:
- Fraction Insets Tray!! He loved these and caught on to dividing and what "fractions" of a Pizza were! We’ll be doing these again most days I’m sure!
Good week of learning, we’re off til next week!! Thank for visiting!